Skip to main content

Want to look for something?

Diversity, Equity, Inclusion


"Please resist racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, climate-change denial, body shaming, ignorance, and corruption. Resist hate."

The above note used to be a part of my work desk back when I was working from office. It had a ton of positive impact because it acted as a filter and reminder to attract only non-judgemental open-minded folks into my life. 

During lunch time, I used to overhear a lot of giggles over sexist and racist jokes, but for those people I became unapproachable (other than professionally) for good. Most people who would walk upto my desk, already knew what my expectations were. Whenever someone would walk upto my desk with a comment that would be sexist or in any of the hate categories, I would immediately point my finger towards this note without having to say anything.

Time and again, I face an inner moral conflict when someone I'm talking to passes a comment that falls into any of these or similar categories; because more often than not, I don't have the mental energy to fight it. I sometimes also try to empathize with their ignorance as their lack of education about a topic. Sometimes, I go deeper to convince myself that it does not come from their inflated sense of self, but rather from low self-esteem, wherein they try to elevate themselves by pulling another person down.

I think by choosing to not fight it, I may be passively encouraging such a behaviour around me. Maybe I am wrong in doing so. So here I am putting my thoughts (and conversational expectations) out to the world - a world which has now quite literally gone virtual.

No, I'm not suggesting to display idealism but just kindness, and as John Lennon puts it, "it isn't hard to do".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Microsoft Introduces Copilot - The Future of Workspace Applications

This will change the way we work   forever! Microsoft has introduced Copilot which will be embedded in the Microsoft 365 apps and is more than OpenAI’s ChatGPT embedded into Microsoft 365. With the following capabilities already, and continual improvement, it can TRANSFORM workspaces: Create powerful presentations with a simple prompt with  Copilot in PowerPoint  by adding relevant content from an old document.  Analyze trends and create meaningful data visualizations in seconds with Copilot in Excel. Summarize key discussion points and suggest action items real-time with C opilot in Teams. Moreover, Business Chat can be fed with natural language prompts like “Tell my team how we updated the project strategy,” and it will generate a status update based on the morning’s meetings, emails and chat threads. Amazed at the power of # artificialintelligence . “Today marks the next major step in the evolution of how we interact with computing”, said Satya Nadella, Chairman and CEO

The Pepper Spray - A Gendered View

Thoughts this morning while I was on a shopping site. 4/5/2018 8:00 AM You know what is one of the saddest things to buy in the world? A pepper spray. The very fact that a woman buys it, keeping a particular scenario in mind, makes her small and powerless in her own eyes. I know, being able to afford one is a privilege, and yet, needing one, is a misfortune. Apart from questions ''Will such a situation arise?'' and ''Will I get time to take it out?'', there are questions like ''If all woman carry pepper sprays at all times, will crime against women not happen at all?''. The last one is nothing but a rhetorical question. What can we do? Carry one. Trust no one. TRY TO be safe. The scenario of using a pepper spray could arise in any situation. A man following her, or getting home late from work, or getting home late on a bus after watching a movie. Why is a woman considered to be the physical manifestation of vulnerability in

Why I Decided To Move Halfway Across The World To Canada

"Can you go halfway around the world, and live in a cold city with freezing winters? Can you leave your friends and family? Wouldn't you be lonely?" -Jumpa Lahiri, The Namesake This is the exact question I asked myself, as I saw my invitation letter from the Government of Canada with the following words: "We are pleased to invite you to apply for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Workers". This is a highly competitive score-based  immigration system for experienced professionals valued internationally for Canada's  social benefits, healthcare, education, and a high quality of life. I usually never second-guess, but in that moment, the prospect of quitting a well-paying reseach & consulting job in India and the proximity to my people to start life from Square one barely held any appeal.  More so, because I love India.  The love, the education, the principles, the family values, the work diligence, the peace-loving outlook, the  experiences, 

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *